Coat Length (longhair) aka Fluffy
There are 5 recessive variants in the fibroblast growth factor-5 (FGF5) gene.
4. L5-c.559-560dupGG (L4) g.8193T>A
S/S: Dog has short hair, non carrier
S/L : Dog has short hair and carries 1 copy of long hair
L/L : Dog has long hair-2 copies of long hair
Results will show as either L, L2, L3, L4, L5 according to test.
L, L2, L3, L4, L5 DOES NOT INDICATE LENGTH OF HAIR
Contrary to popular belief, the different variants of L1 to L5 do not indicate how long the hair will be, but rather is associated with the breed.
Five recessive mutations or variants associated with long hair in the 5 (FGF5) are:
1. p.Cys95Phe (L): most common across breeds.
2. c.578C>T (L2) is seen in Akita, Eurasier, Samoyed, and Siberian Husky breeds.
3. c.556-571del16 (L3) is seen in Eurasier breed.
4. c.559-560dupGG (L4) is seen in Afghan hound, Eurasier breeds, and French Bulldog.
5. g.8193T>A (L5) occurs in Afghan hound.
Copyright © 2020 Rare Bulldogs - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Rare Bulldogs